Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Career or Family?



Robert and I were both buissnesspeople. Robert a buissnessman and myself a lawyer at the local law firm in Colourvale. We had met at university 10 years ago and have now been married for 5 years.
We went away for a weekend at a luxurious resort near Oceanview Beach. That was when it all started.
Three weeks after our holiday, I found out I was pregnant. But I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to be. Or whether or not I wanted a child.
I mean, I was addicted to work and if I had a baby I'd have to take a couple of months off. I didn't know if I was prepared to do that though. So I told Robert that weekend.
"Hi Blanche." Robert called as he walked into the lounge room. "Hi Robert." I replied. He kissed me on the cheek. "Sit down, Robert. We have to talk." He sat down opposite me. "I'm pregnant." I announced. "Three weeks." "No!" Robert wasn't sarcastic, but he was subtle in the way he said the word. "I didn't know what to do, so I thought I'd ask you." I said. "I'm sorry." I added, just to be on the safe side. "No. Blanche, its okay." Robert assured me. "Everything's going to be fine. We'll have a think about it tonight and we'll make the decision tommorow. Yeah?" "Yeah." I repeated in agreeance.
So we talked about the next night, and decided to keep the baby. We decided that I would stay home with it and we'd put it into a child care centere as soon as possible.
And so the decision was made. We would start a family and keep our careers.

No comments:

Post a Comment