Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Call of Destiny

Michael had been sick for many months now. He had gotten cancer at the young age of 23. He had been battling for two years.
On this particular day, of late 1994, he lay in his hospital bed, his girlfriend Amanda, sitting by his bed the whole time, squeezing his hand tight. The doctors had informed the two that they were basically making Michael comfortable until the day of his passing.
"Are you absolutely sure there is nothing more you can do for him?" Amanda had gone outside Michael's private hospital room to debate with his doctors over the matter.
Amanda's cousin and her boyfriend rushed by Michael's hospital room, Amanda's cousin Taylor in a hospital bed, her boyfriend Josh running to keep up with her, holding her hand tight, just as Amanda had done so with Michael.
"Go." Michael reassured Amanda, patting her arm. "I'll be alright." So, knowing she had Michael's permission, she raced after them, and began racing with the bed, on the other side of Taylor. "What happened?" She called to Josh over the noise. "I came home, and found her like this, in the loungeroom.Unconcious " Josh shouted back. "Oh." Amanda said, more quietly to herself. "It's alright, I've got your number, I'll call you when we're settled in a room." Josh told Amada. "Ok. Mabye I could bring Michael over, if he's feeling up to it." Amanda suggested. "Sure. I'm sure Taylor would love to see you and Michael. When she wakes up. If she wakes up." Josh said sadly. "She will. Think positive Josh!" Amada called back to him over her shoulder as she ran back to Michael's room.
Later on that day, Amanda nd Michael went to see Taylor and Josh in Taylor's room. "Hey." Taylor greeted them, weakly. "HOw are you feeling?" Amanda asked. "Not great." Taylor said. "What about you Michael?" She turned to Michael who was sitting in his wheelchair, next to Amanda, opposite Josh. "Better than I have done." Michael replied, a glimer of hope in his voice.
Josh and Taylor soon got the same news Amanda and Michael had done just three days before. "We'll make her comfortable, until she passes. But there is nothing else we can do. " The doctors would keep on saying.
So as a nice thought, Amanda and Josh organised for Taylor and Michael to be put in the same room. That way, when Josh and Amanda weren't there, they would have someone to keep them company.
It was five days later that the day came. Taylor and Mochael could just feel it. "Today's the day. I can feel it. I'm sorry." They'd both say.
When the time came, Taylor was holding Michael's hand on one side, and Josh's on the other. Michael was holding Taylor's on one side, and Amanda's on the other. With their spare hands, Josh and Amanda each sat, tenderly stroked their partner.
"You ready Taylor?" Michael turned to Taylor in his bed. He looked back over at Amanda and kissed and hugged her as if to say goodbye. "I love you Amanda, I always will, my love." He told her and turned back to Taylor, still holding Amada's hand tight. "Ready." Taylor replied. She turned to Josh. "I love you Josh. Always have, and always will." She said, kissing and hugging him.
Michael then gave Amada a ring. "I was going to as you to do me the honour of becoming my wife, but that won't happen now. So take this, and never forget me, my Amanda." Michael explained, handing Amanda a small box, which she opened and slipped it's contents, a small diamond ring onto her finger.
Taylor gave to Josh a watch. "Never forget me Josh. I will love you forever." She said, fastening it around Josh's held out wrist.
"I love you." Were Taylor and Michael's final words, before their eyelids closed.
In the months that followed, Josh and Amanda helped eachother get over the ordeal. As if like Taylor and Michael were bringing them together, from heaven above, they fell in love and were married a year later.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated to the memory of my uncle, Jeffery and to my angel's dear son Charles, may they rest in peace and live forever in our hearts, and be with us in spirit, watching over us from up above
& to anyone who has ever lost someone dear in their lives, may they be remembered and live in spirit each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment