Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Years Fling

It was New Years Eve and the first year that Maddie had lived on her own, renting an apartment. She was now 19 years old. She was spending her New Years at Sydney Harbour. There were only three hours until 2010. Only three hours left of 2009.

At 9:30, there were the kids fireworks. It was then that Maddie met a guy. "Hi." He greeted her. He was holding someone's hand, Maddie didn't know who. "Hi." Maddie replied. "I'm Maddie." The guy shook her hand. "Elliot." He said. The mystery person tugged at Elliot's coat. "Oh, and this is Rhianna. My sister." "Hello." Maddie bent down to face the small girl. "Hi." She said shyly, turning from side to side. "And how old are you sweet heart?" Maddie asked gently. "I'm 3 and a half." Replied little Rhianna.

Elliot had taken Rhianna back to his parents by 10:30. Maddie and Elliot were alone at last. "Only an hour and a half to go." Elliot commented, looking up at the stars. He reached out for Maddie's hand and she took. They both stood there for a while, holding hands and staring up at the sky, out into the night.

"So, what's your New Years resolution?" Elliot asked after a while, turning to face Maddie. It was very dark now, the night was growing older. "I dont know." Maddie confessed. "I don't know that I have one really. What about you? What's yours?" Maddie asked. "What's mine? What's my what?" Elliot was confused. Maddie was too a little. "Resolution. New Years resolution." Maddie clarryfied. "Oh me? I think I'm the like you in that respect. I don't think I have one." Elliot confessed.

As the twelfth hou hit, the new year hit also. 2009 was now history and there was a new year about town. 2010. And as it hit 11:59, Maddie and Elliot shared a kiss like none neither had ever experienced before.

Neither Maddie or Elliot never saw the other after that fateful night. Both hoped that they would, but neither ever did. It obviously wasn't meant to be. They had swapped phone numbers. Elliot had lost Maddie's, not that she knew. She cried well into the night one night because she thought that Elliot no longer liked her.

To this day, neither Elliot or Maddie have ever seen one another since that New Years Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment