Sunday, October 27, 2013

Be Warned

Beth had a huge smile on her face as she approached her, and to Michelle, her sister looked the happiest she'd seen her in a long, long time. She couldn't remember the last time Beth had looked this happy. Not only was her smile the biggest Michelle had ever seen it, she was practically glowing. There was this aura of happiness around her that seemed hopelessly infectious and made her smile too.

"Hey Bethie!" Michelle smiled, hugging her sister before the three of them sat down. "So, this must be the Chris I've been hearing so much about." She smiled toward the man sitting beside her sister.
"This is him!" Beth confirmed excitedly. "Chris, this is my sister Michelle."
"Nice to meet you Chris." Michelle extended her hand across the table. "I've heard a lot about you."
"You too Michelle. I wish I could say the same." Chris shook Michelle's hand and they both turned to look at Beth.
"What?" She asked, blushing a little.
"Why hasn't he heard about me?" Michelle asked, a hint of playfulness in her serious tone.
"I don't know." Beth shrugged. "I guess I never thought to mention you. But he knows about you now." She nudged Chris, who smiled.

Michelle waited until Beth had gone before she leaned closer to Chris.
"Now," she said, her voice growing serious. "I like you, but you have no idea how upset she's been, how much heartache she's been through, how she's felt about herself. I'm warning you, right now, if you do anything, at all, to hurt her, you will have me to deal with."
Chris gulped and Michelle leaned back in her chair, a satisfied smile forming on her lips. "Good." She said, her tone more relaxed. "I'm glad we understand each other."

"I warned him." Michelle whispered to her sister through gritted teeth in an attempt to hide their conversation from Chris.
Beth laughed nervously, her face colouring."Michelle! I told you, you don't have to do that."
"No, I didn't have to. But you're my baby sister Bethie. If her hurts you, I swear..."
Beth rested a hand on her sister's arm, demanding her attention. "It's ok Mich." She said, looking at over at Chris, who was nervously swaying from side to side a little way away as he waited for them. "Look at him. I think he gets it."

No comments:

Post a Comment