Friday, December 20, 2013

Overtaken

It seemed such a little, innocent thing at the time. But, I know now that it was something I never should have done in the first place. Afterwards, I had my excuses.
It was hot...
It would cool me down...
I wouldn't have it on for long (and the truth be told, it hadn't been)...
I wouldn't put it on full...

That little round turning switch seemed to draw my fingers to it like a magnet. I was so hot, and before long, the intense, overpowering need for cool took over. Before I knew what I was doing, the dial had turned. I looked up and saw it, the blades, once motionless now spinning slowly. With it came a refreshing rush of cool, a sudden, intense, though welcome change to the torturous heat of a moment before.

Breathing in the freshened, cooler air, enjoying it pass my face, I moved to be directly under the fan. That was where you really got the full effect of it. I looked up toward the sky, staring at the centre of the fan, the only part of it that wasn't moving and quickly became lost in my own little world.

I barely noticed myself gravitating back toward the magnetic, alluring, controlling round dial. The next thing I knew, I was back under the fan again, and it had sped up. The cool wind was rushing faster past me. Swirling around and wrapping me into it's cool, refreshing, somewhat heavenly embrace.

It spun yet faster and still I stood beneath it, basking in the coolness, the cold, the release from the sweltering heat. It was a hard, abrupt return to reality as the fan took on a mind of it's own.

Now on the highest setting it could go, it wasn't the heat but the cold that was intense. Though not a torturous one, a pleasant one. Involuntarily, my mouth fell open as the fan suddenly detached from it's fixation on the ceiling and spun wildly as it fell down, smashing, breaking and shattering the window as it cut through it and flew away.

Still, it is out there on it's rampage and I fear that one day, it will return. It will come back for me and seek it's revenge. The thing has a mind of it's own and I could tell from the brief glimpse of a blur I saw as it disappeared, it is, for some reason, bent on revenge. It's out there somewhere, on it's revengeful rampage, and all I can do is wait. I share my story because, for all I know, it could be you next. Be warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment