Monday, December 15, 2014

This Moment

No matter how many times he'd wipe it, his face would become wet almost as soon as he took the tissue away. He slowly looked up at the feeling of a gentle hand on his shoulder.
"Dom," said the girl with the kind smile. "Why the tears?"
She sat down beside him, her hand having migrated to his knee as the story came flooding out.
"I don't know what I'm going to do Kelly," he said, his eyes still glistening with moisture as he held her gaze. "I..."
The way she gave his knee a gentle pat silenced him at once.
"Dom, is this happening right now?"
His head fell a little as he shook it.
"So why don't you be here with me?" she asked, reaching for his hand and giving it a light squeeze,
"Be here with me now," she said as he hesitated.

"Kelly, I can't... how am I going to do this?" Kelly waited patiently as he went on. "Dom, that's all in the future, am I right?" Again, he nodded, helplessly. "All we have is this moment. Have you ever thought about how you'd feel if you realised you missed out on something because you were to busy worrying about what's to come?"
"No," he admitted in a tear stained voice.
"Baby," she said, still trying for his attention as she twisted and turned her head in an attempt to meet his eyes once more. "don't blink and miss this moment. Be here with me." She waited as slowly, he re-met her gaze.
"Have you ever thought about how you'd feel if you missed out on something?" she asked again.
"I never thought about it..." he said in an echo. "But what am I going to do?" he asked after a while.
She got up, not sure what else to do. Wondering whether she'd ever get through to him. "Maybe one day you will find that you just can't push rewind." she said as she wandered away. "Tomorrow's unspoken."

Kelly was quite surprised when weeks later, she ran into Dom. "Hi Kelly," he said, offering her a small smile. At once, her mind froze and her eyes involuntarily grew wide.
"Look Dom," Kelly said. "There's only so long you can be patient. I'm not interested anymore."
"Kelly wait, please," he said, managing to lightly brush her arm with his fingertips as she made to get away. She quickly turned around, her stare harsh as she folded her arms across her chest.
"I'm ready to be here with you," he said, the pleading clear in his tone. "It took me a while to listen to what you said, but it really helped. Thank you."
"I'm glad you've learnt to revel in the moment Dom," she said sincerely, taking a step forward.
"Kelly, I realise this may be a lot to ask, but..."
"Just get it out, please," she said, at least, not moving.
"Be in the moment with me," he said. "Will you give me a second chance? Can we start fresh?"
The wait was agonising as he awaited her response. "Well, I suppose." she said, and a smile cracked his lips. "For the sake of the moment."


No comments:

Post a Comment