Wednesday, January 7, 2015

One With Nature

At first glance, the surroundings are far too dark to be able to make out any one, single thing. But as my eyes adjust, the glassy lake before me and the trees, still dark with the light of the moon, become clearer. As the environment grew on me, my ears become attuned to the sounds in the woods. At first, the croaks of frogs nearby seem,a whisper in the still night air, but then, the sound became louder until it is a constant, deafening  buzz right in my ear.

The noise of the frogs' croaks faded away and my ears prick up as I hear it. The loud, mourning sound, travelling at speed through the wind to meet my ears fills me with a strange pleasure that I don't completely understand. I know it is far away, but it seems as if the creature belonging to these mournful cries is standing right next to me.

I stand still, looking straight ahead of me, but not really seeing what's there. In this moment, my mind is more in touch with the sounds of the night. The lake lapping gently against the shoreline, the wind, whipping through the trees, the soft padding of feet, falling into step on the dirt strewn path.

I look back to see Rose, watching me anxiously from our little campsite. "Barney," comes her voice in the chilly breeze. "Barney, come back to..." I watch as she stops mid sentence, her eyes growing wide. I look around me to see a big, furry wolf padding out toward me from among the trees. Involuntarily, I let out a shiver before inhaling and exhaling deeply, resuming my calm composure.

I do not move even an inch as the wolf comes closer circling me, it's fur occasionally brushing ticklishly against the bare skin of my arms and legs. It comes closer still, brushing up against me and wrapping its neck around mine. Still, I don't move.

There is silence moment before the excruciating pain ensues, foreign and unexpected, it flows through my veins, taking over me. I dropped my knees as it engulfs me completely and hear Rose running toward me from behind, letting out an empathetic cry at my pain. I look back just in time to see her reach out to me, then she shies away. I look at her cautiously before glancing at the wolf by my side not able to understand what's happening. My eyes widen as I feel my most cherished memories of myself and raise seem to fade away. I look back at her in horror and she returns my gaze, her eyes full of fear.

With the wolf shadowing me, I step forward towards the lake. My eyes widen even more with the sight that greets me. I am just like the creature beside me. Somehow, I'm wolf. That fact should scare me it doesn't. I'm completely serene. I look around me and there seems to be wave of calm that washes over me. I am one with my surroundings, with the environment. I am one with nature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prequel to 'The Silent Haunt'

No comments:

Post a Comment