Friday, October 13, 2023

Before the Sun

 It is so freezing, I’m almost certain I’ll be encased in ice within minutes, maybe mere seconds. Being up and at ‘Em before the sun will have that effect, I suppose. But, I also know it’ll be worth it when I get to where I’m going. Besides, what other excuse do I have to get out of the house? Exercise is one of the few legitimate reasons folks are allowed to venture beyond their four walls, and this is definitely exercise. 


When I get to the top of this big hill/ mountain/ cliff structure I’ve been climbing, I take a moment to lean forward, resting my forearms on my knees and panting for air. Then, I straighten up and set about spinning the guitar I’ve carried on my back around so I can play it. I do it slowly, because bringing my instrument with me was a risk. Less so doing at this time of the morning, before the sun. At this time, there’s not a soul around. Not physically close by, anyway. 


There are others out there, though. They’re the reason I’m here with my guitar, out before the sun. We made a promise that they’d be doing the same as me, just in a different place. I close my eyes, imagining mirrored scenes of my two best friends in the world. Almost like our very own music video. My breath hitches in my throat, imagining that possibility. Maybe one day, it’ll be a reality. But for now, we have this. This view, so perfect it’s like someone painted it into existence. This breeze, almost too cold, but starting to grow warmer. I start to run my fingers over the strings and close my eyes so I can lose myself completely in the sound. 


I keep playing for long enough to lose all track of time. It’s not until I sense the darkness start to dissipate that I open my eyes, the strumming automatic. Just enough to see the sun start to poke through just above the ocean beyond. I keep playing as it slowly rises to begin a new day. It’s warmth envelops me, along with the knowledge my friends are experiencing if not the same, then very similar. Even if our specific sunrises are different, the three of us are all under the same sky, standing beneath the same sun. This is why we get up before the sun. For this moment when we are together in different places, our souls connected, tuned into the same song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment