Saturday, July 12, 2014

Break The Rules

"Do you know when..." she started to say, pausing as she thought about what to say next. "when you see something, or something happens and it takes you right back? Back to, like, a time in your past that you haven't thought about for ages?"
"Oh!" he said, laughing a little. "One of those... Those blast from the past kind of things! Those are cool! Wait, good or bad?" He asked upon seeing her expression.
"I... I don't really know. It definitely took me back and made me think about things I haven't thought about in ages."
He stood, keeping eye contact but staying silent for having no idea of what to say.
"I didn't even know what to feel. Still don't know what to feel. It wad just..."
"It rocked ya," he said, nodding understandingly as she smiled gratefully back at him. "Ok, so from what I can gather, this person was involved in a part of your life you'd rather not revisit. Right?"
"I guess, yeah," she said.

"Can I tell you something?" He shuffled into a new standing position, waiting before she nodded in answer. "The other day, I had one of those blasts too. Only, mine was one of those ones where I desperately wanted to break those rules. The conflict of interest ones that say you can't help or take care of people you already know outside of work. I know why they're there, but..."
"For people like me," she answered.
"Exactly, but that's not the point."
"So what is?"
"Maybe it'll be your turn next time," he said, a smile on his face. "Maybe, next time, you'll want to break the rules."
"Yeah," she said, starting to smile herself. "I reckon there's a few people out there I'd be desperate to break the rules for."
"See?" he said. "Everybody has people they like and others they don't. All of us are bound to come across someone we don't like or who bring up stuff we'd rather not think about again. It just happened to you know, and do you know what I reckon?"
"What?"
"I reckon all of us'll have more people we want to break the rules for

No comments:

Post a Comment