Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Reunited

"Goodnight Petal," he says, pausing in the doorway to look back at his granddaughter before turning out the light.
"Grandpa," she says softly, and her only just hears her. "Please don't leave me." With a few strides, he sits on the edge of her bed, leaning over to stroke her soft brown waves. "I don't like the dark, and I'm not sleepy yet."
"It's alright," he says with a kind smile. "Why don't I tell you a story?"
The young girl nods, snuggling deeper into her pillows as her grandfather pulls the blankets tight around her. His eyes are soft as he looks at his grandaughter before turning his gaze to the window and the night outside.

"Your grandmother," he says, closing his eyes as he pictures her in his mind. "was, is, a beautiful woman."
"Where is she Grandpa?" asks the girl innocently. "I thought she'd died."
"No petal," he says, glancing at her again. "She's just... lost."

"Why Miss, you look exquisite this evening, I'm surprised nobody has asked you to dance yet," he says, not being able to help smiling as her bright green eyes meet his. "Would you like to dance with me?"
"Why, I would be absolutely delighted," she says, a big smile on her face as she takes his outstretched hand and rises to her feet.
He leads her out to the dance floor and they turn toward one another, beginning to move in time to the music.
"My name is Joe," he says,
"I'm Lina," she says.
"Lina," he repeats in a slow whisper, testing how the name sounds on his tongue. He closes his eyes, his smile a little wider than before. After a moment, he opens his eyes again and looks at her, meeting her gaze. He is no longer aware of those that surround them, only the music and her. Her, unbelievably beautiful her.

Three years later, Joe arrives home to a house which, if not for the baby crying, is unusually silent. Normally, Lina has music playing softly while she works, cleaning or cooking.
"Lina?" he calls as he walks through the house, picking up baby Olive on the way through. "Lina! I'm home!" Joe is met with no reply. He calls her name over and over again growing more and more worried each time, only to get the same response. Nothing.

"Does this story have a happy ending Grandpa?" asks the young girl, frowning at where the story seems to be going.
"Not yet," says Joe honestly. "But, your grandmother, Lina, she gave me your mother, and you."
"My mother is baby Olive?" asks the young girl, eyes wide. Joe nods.

"Hello, miss, you look lost." says Joe, smiling at a woman wandering around outside his house.
"My husband called me that the first time we met."
"My name is Joe," he says, the smile on his lips wider now.
"He said that too," says the woman.
"What's your name Love?" asks Joe, not really believing it. Not wanting to without confirmation.
"I'm Lina."
"Lina," he breathes.
"He said my name just like that too, when I told him," says the woman.
"That's because I am him, Love," says Joe, stepping closer to her. "It's me Joe."
"Joe," she asks, slowly looking up at him. She stares at him blankly a moment as her memories come in a flood, and with it a few tears.
"Joe?" He nods. "I thought I"d never see you again." Lina falls into his arms and he holds her close.
"I thought I'd lost you forever," he says into her soft hair.

"Grandpa," calls his granddaughter from the veranda. "Grandpa, who's that?"
"Brisa, I'd like you to meet your grandmother," he says, leading Lina toward her.
"Lina, this is our grandaughter, Brisa."
"Olive?" she asks as a tear rolls down her cheek and Joe nods.
"Hi Grandma," says Brisa, hugging her.
"Hello, Petal." says Lina.

No comments:

Post a Comment