Friday, October 31, 2014

Thinking Of You

A sad expression was on her face as she approached the front door. Quickly, she tried to cover it with a mask of happiness before knocking. 
"Katie," he said, the smile spreading quickly across his lips at the sight of her. "It's great to see you, come on in." She followed him inside and to the lounge room, where they sit beside one another on the plush cushions.  

Unable to keep up the charade any longer, and without warning, she burst into tears, falling into his side. Gently, he wrapped his arms around her, concern flooding his face. "Katie, what's wrong? Katie? Beautiful?" 
"Oh George," she managed to say through her tears. "I'm so sorry." 
"Whatever for darling?" he asked, lifting her chin with a finger, meeting her eyes. "I'd like to stay." 
"I'm not going anywhere, I promise you." 
"I love you," she said, crying again. "I love you.
"I love you too," said George slowly. 
"George, they're forcing me to marry someone else." She said, finally allowing her timid eyes to meet his kind ones. 
"Oh Katie," he said, tightening his grip on her as she continued to cry. He could just about feel his own heart being tugged forcefully from his chest and crushed into a thousand pieces. 
"George, say I won't lose you, please." she said, begging desperately with her eyes. 
"I won't ever let you go Katie," he said solemnly, a tear trickling down his own cheek now. "You have my word."

I won't ever let you go, he'd said, and that had been the last thing he had wanted, but she'd been forced from him instead. They'd known each other for so long, and it wasn't all that long ago that he'd discovered his real feelings for her went beyond just simple friendship. He'd been going to propose next week.... 

"Stop crying girl," her mother snapped angrilly. "This should be the happiest day of your life." 
"It might have a chance of being that way, if you weren't forcing me to marry someone I don't even know!" 
"He is a good man," said her mother firmly. "Your father picked him out for you. Do you not trust your father?" 
Katie said nothing, knowing she'd get in deeper trouble if she was honest, but she couldn't bring herself to lie either. "Maybe if you'd picked George..." she said so quietly it was barely audible, even to her. 

Katie wore a mask of happiness as she went back down the aisle with her newly wed husband. The last person among their guests that she came across was George. He gave her a sad smile as they held hands for a moment. He squeezed it tight, fighting a battle with the tears desperate to turn his cheeks into a waterfall. 'You're the one I love,' she mouthed giving his hand one final, tight squeeze before letting it drop and her stranger husband lead her away. 
"I love you too, my darling," he whispered, allowing his gaze to follow her receding shadow. "One day, I vow to you, whether it be this life or the next, we will be together."

No comments:

Post a Comment