Sunday, November 1, 2015

I'll Never Forget

I touched the ring in my pocket, the one I had told her father I wanted to offer his daughter. That was so long ago.

I look at her now, from the doorway to he room. She smiles sweetly at me from her place in bed, buried deep under the covers, which she has pulled up to her chin so all I can see is her face. We have shared a lifetime together. There have been a lifetime of treasured memories, a whole load of stories to cherish.

"Hello, my darling," I say as I softly sit on the edge of the bed, taking her warm hand in my own. I raise her hand to my lips and kiss it gently before letting it go.
"Hello," she says weakly, confusion evident in her voice.
"I'm Joseph, do you remember me?" I ask, reminding myself not to hope. "I've been coming to see you for a while now."
"I'm sorry," she says, her smile sad as her eyes meet mine.
"It's ok."
"But I shouldn't forget your name," she says.
"Oh?" I say, raising an eyebrow,
"Joseph was my husband's name."
"I've come to take you to dinner," I say after a moment, rising from the bed.
"Oh yes," her smile widened. "the nurses told me, they helped me pick a dress specially."
"Lovely," I say, smiling in return. "But first, my dear, I believe you lost something precious." I reach into my pocket and pull out the ring. Her face lights up and she gasps.
"Wherever did you find that?" she asks breathlessly. "My Joseph gave that to me!"
"Would you like me to put it on for you?" I ask. Eagerly, she nods, holding out her hand. Carefully, I slip the ring onto her finger. Just as I had done that night.

I offer a hand as she slowly, shakily gets out from under the covers.I gasp as she straightens up. She won't remember, but I do. I'll never forget it. It is the dress she wore the night I proposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment