Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Fuel For the Fire

Can't... Will never.... Won't... As I repeat these words to my friend, she is seething. Were this a cartoon, steam would be flowing from her ears accompanied by a high pitched squeal. "Oh no," she says through gritted teeth, her entire body shaking. "We can't have that!" 
"What?" I say, spinning on my heel as she begins to pace. 

She in turn, spins on her own heel and faces me, coming closer, maintaining eye contact the entire time. "Candace! You... you mustn't let people tell you those things..." 
"It's not like I can stop them." I say, "I'm not God. I can't control anyone but me.." 
"True," she says, coming to sit beside me. 

"But that's exactly it, Candace..." I say nothing, blinking a few times. "You can control you!" 
"What do you mean exactly?" 
"Can't.. Never... Won't..." she says, on her feet and pacing again. "They're all just words." 
"Negative words though, right?" 
"Wrong!" Once again, Hilda spins on her heel, a wide smile on her lips. "For most, yes, they are negative. But they don't have to be. For most people, they're negative words because they allow them to be." 
"Ok..." I say, "Hilda, I can see that you're passionate... but... you're not really making much sense." 

Again, she settles in a sitting position beside me. "Look Candace, if experience has taught me anything, it's that you choose the impact words have on you. Have you ever heard that saying?" She pauses, trying to recall it in her memory. "You know the one..." Again, she trails off. "Sticks and stones may break my bones..." 
"but names will never hurt me!" I finish with her triumphantly, a little relieved to understand something at last. 
"Yes!" says Hilda, the smile returned. "The second part of that saying implies that you can choose to ignore words which may otherwise have negative associations." 
I nod, smiling. Finally the fog of foreignness is clearing.  

"So, those words," she says, pausing to ensure she has my full attention, which, of course, she does. Now that it seems to make a little sense, she has me hooked... "Can't... Never... Won't... You've got to use them." 
"I'm sorry," I say, "use them?" 
"Yes," says Hilda. "Use them as fuel for the fire." 
I blink at her silently. She's lost me again... 
"Because they're telling you things right? They're telling you that you can't.. won't.. that you'll never.." 
"Yeah," I nod, albeit slowly. 
"So you use the words as motivation, fuel, to do the opposite." 
"Oh," I say, lighting up again with the onset of a lighting bulb moment. 
"You use it as fuel for the fire," Hilda says with me, nodding.
Fuel for the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment