Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Chum's Magic Fix

Sniffing hungrily at the bottle, Chum managed to maneuver it into his mouth and began to glug the liquid down. As the liquid touched his tongue, it sparkled briefly, disappearing as the liquid did. Satisfied, he padded off to find something to do.


Jessie, one of the children of the family Chum belonged to welcomed him eagerly. He clapped his hands as Chum came over, reaching up to wrap his small, chubby arms around his neck and snuggle his face in the dog's side.
"Puppy." He said happily letting him go. "My puppy."
Chum gently licked the young boy's hand before wandering away up the stairs.


He found the family's middle child reading on her bed and jumped up beside her, resting his head on her stomach.
Angie felt something and looked down to see her dog lying beside her. His eyes met hers and she smiled.
"Chum," she said in greeting as she patted his head. "Good boy." Quickly, Angie returned to her book and Chum closed his eyes, soon falling asleep.


A while later, Chum found look, the family's oldest starting to get frustrated outside. Chum sat at his feet, whimpering to let Luke know he was there.
"Hey Boy." Luke said, sitting on the backyard steps. Chum followed him, sitting beside him. He met his eyes, looking at the boy with a sort of helpless sympathy.
"I wish you could help me, Chum. My stupid hand never does what I want it to."
Luke began to pat his favourite friend and Chum began to lick his other, bad, hand. When Luke looked back at his hand, the bend in it was gone and it looked exactly the same as his other hand. "Oh Chum! You're the best dog ever!" Luke declared as he ruffled the dog's fur before getting up and racing inside.


"Mum! Look." Luke said, lifting his hand in the air. "I'm all better."
"So you are." His mother said, staring at her son's hand in astonishment. "But The doctors said.. How?"
"Chum fixed me up."
"Something's going on, because you remember that cut Jessie had on his hand?"
"Yeah. What about it?"
"It's gone now."
"Huh."
"And my tummy doesn't hurt anymore." Angie said happily, climbing the last step. "I reckon it was Chum, cause he put his head there, only really lightly and I think he licked it too, must've been when I fell asleep cause he was gone when I woke up and I was sort of a little bit wet."
"I don't know." Said their mother, carrying Jessie away.
"Chum's magic." Angie and Luke said, looking at each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment