Thursday, February 6, 2014

Not Yet

The young girl skipped happily around the flower abundant garden, taking joy in the simple things. The warm, sun beating down on her and keeping her warm, picking the flowers to make daisy chains. Young Flora had always dreamt of a place like this and she closed her eyes now, overjoyed to finally be here.


A little way away, she spotted a familiar figure coming closer and the smile on her face grew wider at the sight of him.
"Hello Flora," said her brother, offering a hand as he smiled down at her.
"Hi Sean," said Flora, taking his hand. "What are you doing here?"
"I wanted to see my little sister," he said simply, "is that alright?"
"Yes," Flora said, briefly letting go of his hand so she could hug him close. "I like seeing you Sean."
"That's good." He said, walking along with her.


"Sean?" Flora asked after a while, peering curiously up at her older brother.
"Yeah?" He asked, meeting her young, bright, inquisitive eyes.
"Sean, where are we going?"
"I don't know. We're just walking around in the garden aren't we?"
"What's that over there?" Flora asked, pointing excitedly. Sean followed his sisters gaze to see an unusually bright light shining near a tree. Flora let go of his hand, running toward the light, full of wonder and curiosity.
"Flora, I don't..." he started to call after her, but she was too far away to hear him. "Think that's a good idea," he whispered, a little disheartened to himself as he started to follow after her.


Sean breathed a sigh of relief as he came closer to see their grandmother with her hand out. "No Flora. Go play in the garden with Sean. Go on. It's not your time yet. You can't come here."
"But why not Nanna?" Flora asked innocently. "I missed you, I wanted to see you."
"Oh I know Petal," their Nanna said, "I missed you too, but I'm always there. I promise you, even if you can't see me."
"I can see you." Said Flora. "You're right here."
"I know sweetheart," said Nanna. "But you're asleep. I'll always be in your dreams if you want me to be." She smiled, making Flora smile too. "But now, you need to wake up."

No comments:

Post a Comment